Voronoi fracture C4D > Notch workflow

Hello,

I have a model that I’ve fractured using the Voronoi fracture tool in C4D, and then I’ve connected objects as shown in this tutorial (skip to 16:56) to save into .obj, import to Notch, and use the cloner effectors to manipulate. Unfortunately, I can’t get the .obj to behave as expected, even though I’ve successfully made other models work in the same setup. I have a feeling I’m making a mistake on the C4D side (I did check “export objects as groups”), but I can’t seem to figure it out. Maybe there’s an extra step with fractured objects? Here are the two project files. Super appreciate any help!

Notch Project: RigidBodyTest.dfx - Google Drive

C4D Project: HeadVoronoi.c4d - Google Drive

I’m not sure the process in C4D, but I’ve imported the OBJ into blended and it looks like its not isolated chunks. lots of vertices (but for some reason not all) are welded together, and the internal faces probably need to be triangulated to avoid rendering errors.

WeldedVertices

Thanks for the tips Ryan! Looks like I have it figured out for now. The trick was to first do the voronoi fracture, then right click the voronoi in the c4d hierarchy and hit current state to object. This will generate a null with all the fractured pieces as separate objects as its children. Next, move all the separate objects above the null and delete the null. Then select all the object pieces, right click and hit connect as object + delete in c4d just like in the video, but then use the .c4d project file directly in Notch with triangulate and convert axes (FBX) both checked upon import. Chunk + cloner effectors work like a charm when connected to the pinkish 3d object node that appears in the imported 3d scene node dropdown after all this has been done.

1 Like