Using the Select Child Node and a Particle Mesh Emitter

Is there a way to have an animated sequence of different meshes as a single source for a Particle Mesh Emitter? Preferably imported in this case but I can rebuild in Notch if needed.

I’m thinking using the Select Child Node with a modifier to run through the sequence but that Node itself can’t connect to the Mesh Emitter…

Assuming I can do this successfully, I’d like to also have the same animated sequence of static meshes as the falloff for a Velocity affector set to attract so I can use that with an ambient field of particles also…

Super basic screenshot added to illustrate…

This might be possible in Notch with a weird node setup, but I really feel like that would be a bad solution. is there a particular reason you cant import the animated sequence into e.g blender and just export an animated alembic / fbx?

– Ryan

I thought it would be a better workflow to be able to make creative choices on the animation - to change the sequence order for example - within Notch but easy enough to import an FBX sequence!

I’m much faster modelling in C4D than Notch so that would be the benefit of using imported meshes…

Thanks for the advice!

Would it be possible in future for the Select Input Node to be read by the Mesh Emitter? Just a thought… no idea about the programming involved in that…

p.s. - the Mesh Emitter’s input for an object lights up and connects from the select input node, but remains hashed out - (2x shape 3Ds conncected to the Select Input)

Meshes work with the select input node (hadn’t actually thought of that with the initial post) - I’ve just tried that and it works fine, the hashing is just a visual Issue.

– Ryan

Oh brilliant! Didn’t think to just press play and see FFS :rofl:

1 Like