[Feature Requests] Emission across mesh, SVG as spline, Bend Deformer etc

A few requests that I think would greatly enhance Notch, if these are already possible please let me know:

Particle Emission across mesh in sequence

The ability to emit across a mesh, using the edges in sequence, example here (first minute) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0RLgHBY3eo

Spherical mapping for image plane when used to cull particles (eg mesh emitter)

For example, if emitting from a sphere using a mesh emitter particles can only be culled in in planar format, leaving an obvious cut/mirroring effect. Being able to map this spherically would alleviate the issue.

Import SVG as spline

Really want this one! The ability to emit across an SVG as a spline

Bend deformer

Ability to bend a plane or image emitter into a cylindrical shape.

Improved Turbulence

The ability to be able to control turbulence in specific directions, e.g turbulence speed in Z for example.

Again if these are already possible or there are workarounds please let me know, I’m still definitely a beginner when it comes to Notch.

Cheers

2 Likes

+1 on Bend deformer for meshes. This is one of the most used deformers in C4D. I tried searching for “bend” in the manual and it returned zero results.

+1 for SVG integration, too. This would work wonders for working with client logos/graphics, and avoiding the whole “Adobe Illustrator -> Save as v8 -> C4D -> Export FBX -> Finally imported into Notch” pipeline.

1 Like

Hey guys, just a few notes here.

Particle Emission across mesh in sequence

This is currently doable, either by adding a mask video into the mesh emitter input, or by using the alpha of a texture on the mesh to decide where the particles emit.

Spherical mapping for image plane when used to cull particles (eg mesh emitter)

More mappings for that option would be reasonable, but again you can use a texture on the mesh to do this too.

Import SVG as spline

This is actually doable, although we could make it more clear this is the case. Drag the svg into the resources window from an explorer window, and you’ll get options for importing it. currently it is handled as geometry, but we’ll look into handling it as a spline in future.

Bend deformer

Yeh we’ve gotten this request a few times, its on our list to look into.

Improved Turbulence

Controls for different axis is interesting, could expand that way outside of just the turbulence node. will discuss with the team.

Thanks,

Ryan

2 Likes

svg as spline would be amazing, in genral being able to do 3d things with svgs would be really nice, i tried using some of the deformers with svgs and got wierd and varaying results…
it would save a ton of workflow to be able to extrude and bevel svgs, not having to convert them to a mesh in a dcc…and having the abiltiy to make them splines…well that opens a world of possibilties and allows fro rapid workflows!!!

having more turbulences woudl be awesome!! maybe like how the fractal noise has lots of options for noise types, we could have the same for turbuluences!

1 Like

Hey Ryan,

Just wondering if you could go into a bit more detail about using the alpha of a texture on an mesh to control particle emission (culling), please? I can’t quite figure out how it works.

The only way I’ve managed it is to use a video mask but this shows a pretty obvious 2d cut throughout the mesh, and doesn’t really look visually attractive.

Cheers,

Nick

1 Like

Here’s a quick thing I threw together. in short, you need to use polygons mode, and use a texture with an alpha channel (or add one before it goes into the colour texture input like i did). You need to have the UVs set up though, so if you need a particular mapping you need to create that in another tool.

AlphaMeshCull.dfx (323.3 KB)

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks Ryan!

Can’t manage to make it work… I have a SVG i made using Illustrator. When I drag it into the Ressource window although it seems to import fine all I get is a rectangle… Is there soething special to do in Illustrator?

1+ for Bend Deformer…

would love to see a weighted system for mixing deformers
kinda like compositing nodes :slight_smile:

The deformer stack has been completely reengineered for 1.0, so I think you’ll very much like what we have cooking. :slight_smile:

3 Likes