Display/Crash Issues with AMD card

I’ve been making my way through the Notch Essentials course and I’ve been running into some display/crashing issues on my computer with Notch. I’ve been able to find/repeatedly replicate 3 issues which I’ve bundled into a zip file with logs/movies here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HBsuqQP-N3l52zWfMMgBu6VZA_M4o3_0/view?usp=sharing

First Issue: Notch crash -> Notch Essentials, Chapter 7, Geometry-Based Particle Systems
When trying to do this tutorial video, if I don’t massively crank down the default particle settings prior to attaching the curl noise fluid affector, Notch will crash out. Video/logs are in the zip file under the “notch-crash” folder. 30,000 particles seems pretty reasonable to me given my computer specs (below), but even if that was a lot, at the very least I would expect it to slow down rather than crash?

Second Issue: Notch external window
If I try to do View > Fullscreen Render Window to my second monitor, it will work fine initially. However, when I close the external render window, the Nodegraph panel crashes to white and I can’t recover without restarting Notch. Video/log files are in the zip file under “notch-external-window-issue”.

Third Issue: Modifying panels crashes computer + resize bug
At the start of the video, you’ll see a minor issue where if I resize the nodegraph panel, it seems to datamosh the additional space with the top of the timeline panel.

The rest of the video is me moving around some panels to re-organize the layout of the view to show you how I can repeatedly BSOD my computer. This video ends before any crash because I can’t capture a video properly on my computer if it BSOD’s. However, just flipping around the panels like this for a few minutes allows me to repeatedly BSOD my computer without doing anything else. I can even accomplish it with nothing but the Root Node in there. A video + multiple BSOD log files for this are within the “notch-bsod” folder within the zip file.

When the computer BSOD’s, windows reports the issue was related to “atikmdag.sys”.

Notch 0.9.23.125 (Learner edition)
Windows 10 Pro (up to date)
Radeon RX Vega / 8176 MB VRAM (drivers up to date)
Intel i9-9900k @ 3.60 Ghz / 8 cores
64GB ram

Can also confirm now that trying to move the nodegraph panel to my second monitor will also BSOD my computer.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Notch. These issues haven’t been reported to us before so we’re in the process of sourcing an AMD RX Vega card to test with.

Regards,
Tom

Wonderful, thanks @thomas.fields

Hi there,

I managed to source an AMD RX 5700 XT card but I’m afraid I was unable to repro any of the issues you originally reported. I also tried with an AMD Pro 9100 card to no avail.

I was using the latest drivers (v20.10.1), which were released 16th October, so maybe you could try updating locally to see if there have been any driver fixes. Also, it would be worth grabbing our latest release which came out today (0.9.23.162) as we may have inadvertently fixed/changed something which helps here.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,
Tom