Shape2D can't be cloned. Bug?

Hi, Notch Team.
I’m curious whether the Shape2D node is supposed to be supported by cloners. Because now it isn’t. Is this a bug? If yes, I’ll be happy to see it fixed for the next build / release.
Thank you.

• Andy

Hey Andrei,

The shape 2D ndoe generates shapes using an image based method - Shape 3D uses geometry - so it has never been cloneable.

The shape 2D node is going to be removed, and its contents moved to the shape 3D node. if you want to do something similar now, you can use image planes with your own image alphas to get a similar effect.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

[blockquote]The shape 2D ndoe generates shapes using an image based method – Shape 3D uses geometry – so it has never been cloneable.[/blockquote]
I see now. Thanks.

[blockquote]The shape 2D node is going to be removed, and its contents moved to the shape 3D node. if you want to do something similar now, you can use image planes with your own image alphas to get a similar effect.[/blockquote]
In fact, what I wanna do is a planet that looks like the one in this Trapcode Planet video: Trapcode planet on Vimeo.
Trying to align the cloned Circle geometry (Shape3D node) to camera by using the Target Effector I realized that doing so is not an easy task. No luck this far… A sample rig wouldn’t hurt…
Of course, I should have used the sphere shape for that sort of thing, but using a shaded circle seems a better solution in terms of performance.
Any ideas how to pull this trick?

-Andy

Hey Andrei,

The Attached file should hopefully point you in the right direction.

The key thing to note is “World Position Only” is selected in the “Inherit Transform Channels”.
Without this selected, rotation is inherited too and probably causes your headaches.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi, Ryan.
It works! :). Thanks for the example rig.

-Andy