Motion blur when using Render layer

Hi,

I’m using Notch for VP and trying to apply Motion blur on the front plate. I’m using the Render layer node to render some of the objects on front of the talent.

I’ve tried several things, but I’m just unable to make it work:

1. connected 1 Motion blur node to the Exposable camera → only the backplate is blurred
  2. connected 1 Motion blur node to the scene root → only the backplate is blurred
  3. connected 1 Motion blur node to the Exposable camera and 1 MB node to the Render layer node → only the backplate is blurred

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Ben

1 Like

It’s difficult to know what’s going on without a dfx. Off the top of my head, your front plate and back plate will be separate render passes and so would need different motion blur nodes individually.
That said, motion blur currently doesn’t support alpha channels, so I don’t think you’ll be able to do this for now.

– Ryan

Motion blur currently doesn’t support alpha channels, so I don’t think you’ll be able to do this for now

Yeah, I thought there might be something like this in the background, because I tried to assign the nodes to each pass. We’ll try to avoid fast moving AR objects until it works:)

Thanks Ryan!
Ben

1 Like