Lightsource in a 3d object

Hi all.

What is the best way to put a Light inside a 3d object of a lighting fixture to make a realistic light-beam?

Hey Axel,

Sounds like you want to use the Volumetric Lighting node. This node adds a volumetric lighting to the lights in the scene, and will get the light beam effect your looking for.

Placing a light inside the object with cast shadows on and volumetric lighting on should get the effect you want.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Axel,

Here is an example file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwrSK_2JaZSITjVoem5ZMUdMQVU

Thanks,

Ryan

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much Ryan!

Hi Ryan

Can you provide the data again? and is it possible to tracking the lightbeam to a 3D Object?
I have a animated light robot.fbx and i want to insert a lightbeam.

Fbx File:

thank you

Hey there,

Firstly, I’d strongly suggest you look at the essentials course, as this kind of thing s covered there, along with the rest of the tool.

In answer to your question, simply connect the light as a child to the light head, and it will follow any animations or transforms of the mesh.
In this case, you have a disc or something in front, so I’d set that to be ignored by the light too so the light passes through it bust still appears from inside the mesh.

Lastly, the volumetric lighting generates a smokey light effect for a much nicer look.

Here’s a dfx - I couldn’t find the original, so made a new one instead.
LightInMeshExample.dfx (3.1 MB)

As an aside, you will probably want to optimise that mesh a lot. It’s pretty high poly for a simple lighting rig, and unless that’s the key prop your using you could probably reduce it by 60% using various optimisation techniques and finishing with an almost identical model.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan
Thank you so mutch for the dfx.
I look in to the essential course, i know i have a lot to learn :slight_smile:

Thank you

1 Like