Issue with Quixel Displacement Textures

Hi guys, I’ve always seemed to stumble across this problem with Quixel assets - when using their displacement textures the model doesn’t seem to displace properly. It seems to stretch and bulge, rather than display correct deformation (note: this is done through the materials node).

Here’s an example: [no displacement]

Displacement:

The actual displacement texture itself doesn’t look as I’d expect (far too much luma), is there something I’m missing here to get it to work properly with Notch?

Displacement Texture:

Cheers

Hi Nick

Yeah that looks strange, it would be great if you posted a simple dfx with the rock asset and material to look at.

The displacement for this asset looks like it should be very subtle (Maybe?), you might be displacing the rock surface a little too much to be viewed from a distance… that’s probably whys it’s bulging?

Regards

Will

Hey Will,

Yeah it is weird isn’t it? Honestly with barely any displacement it still bulges, the normals also look a little off. Worth noting this only happens with 3d objects from Quixel, actual ground surface textures don’t seem to have this problem.

Uploaded DFX here: Rock_Displacement_Example.dfx - Google Drive

Cheers!

Nick

Part of the issue here looks like the mesh is pretty low res. You could displace it, but you wont get any added detail that isn’t there already. You could try subdividing it a few time then applying the displacement through a displacement map, but that may hurt performance a bit and there is a limit to how much you can subdivide currently.

Also, that texture is mostly white, which is telling the mesh to displace on all areas, so I’m not surprised it looks like its bulging in stead of adding micro detail.

– Ryan

1 Like

Hi Nick

Yeah as Ryan pointed out, the displacement texture is pretty white, see below, I’ve added a colour correction to the displacement texture and ramped up the contrast. The displacements now working really well even on the low poly mesh.

Regards

Will

2 Likes

Great stuff Will! Nice one!

Much appreciated! Will be using that technique in future, bit bizarre they’re supplied that way, but hey ho. Have a good Xmas when the time comes.

Cheers

Nick