Emit particles from mesh based on luminance

Hey there :slight_smile: Is there a way to emit particles from a mesh based on the luminance of the texture. I want to have a line going up and down a mesh and i want the particles to be emited only from that line and with the line’s color. Tried using the Mask input on the mesh emitter but couldnt make it work. Tried inputing thin gradient with animated movement and turbulence, tried piping the same gradient trough an image plane, piped it trugh a composit sources, nothing seems to work.

The mesh emitter has a pixel cull mode - set that to luminance and you should be off to the races :slight_smile:

– Ryan

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I was bumping my head on this one for the last 2 hours or so.
I just want to add one more note for the future generations - the spawn mode on the emitter should be set to polygons, if it is on vertex (as by default) the pixel cull does not work. Also if you want to bump up the particles you can use the emission rate (after adjusting the root and max particle count of course)

2 Likes