Volumes and Meshes: how to combine them correctly?

Hi, guys.
I might be missing the point, but still… I can’t understand how to make volume procedurals share 3d space with other objects within the layer.
Volumes render on top of everything else no matter what I do. Any ideas? Thank you.

-Andy

I think you should use only procedural nodes to simulate the situation you looking for.
Try to use 3D Primitive node twice, if you don’t find any useful models inside you can always use 3D object node and attach any model imported to project.

Let me know if it helps!

Hi, Dawid.
Thanks for the input, but unfortunately, your solution doesn’t work either. :frowning: It looks like procedural volumes use a different render method and have to be rendered separately.
If that’s the case, then there must be a way to mix volumes with other objects by using some sort of mask (e.g. world position pass, depth pass). With this in mind, I invite the developers
to join the discussion. Thank you.

-Andy

Hi Andrei,
Yes, it’s a bug. We were not testing depth when rendering the volumes. This has been fixed for the next build that goes out.
Thanks,
-Matt

Hi, Matt.
Many thanks as usual. :slight_smile:

[blockquote]This has been fixed for the next build that goes out.[/blockquote]

All due respect, but I’m not overfond of the idea of waiting for another 4 months to be able to combine volumes and meshes. Perhaps you could consider making an interim ‘bugfix’ release available? The matter is that users don’t even know when a new ‘beta-beta’ comes out. Maybe it’s time 10bit FX became a little more ‘interactive’? Again, no offense here. Just thinking out loud ;).

P.S. Of course, I’m not the voice of the Notch community, but I’m pretty sure they will support the idea.

-Andy

In this instance we are still in the period of releasing revisions / maintenance releases for 0.9.18 - fixing a few small bugs like this one and the others you mentioned - so there will be a new build of that available in the next week or so to replace the one currently on the site. The goal of the major release is to be a solid line which is stable and reliable for projects and has been through testing. Notch is very open-ended, so there’s lots to test - imposing a limit to the rate we can release new builds widely.

“Beta-beta” builds often fix issues but may create new ones. They come with new features as well as fixes. Inevitably a build with a download link on the site will be used widely. This is why we don’t have a “nightly build” or “weekly build” made available publicly.

We usually aim to release a new version every 8 weeks. 0.9.18 was a particularly long cycle. Most other commercial software in this industry has a much less regular major release cycle. Cinema4D releases once per year, most of the media servers only release once every 6 months. So I don’t think we’d be doing too badly if we hit our 8 week cycle target.

[blockquote]…there will be a new build of that available in the next week or so to replace the one currently on the site.[/blockquote]
Yey! :slight_smile: That’s good news indeed! Please, make sure the relevant announcement is made on the forum.

[blockquote] The goal of the major release is to be a solid line which is stable and reliable for projects and has been through testing.[/blockquote]
Can’t agree more, but I’m afraid you’re looking from the developer’s perspective. Bugs that you regard as ‘small’ might be critical for an artist (such as those I mentioned).
In this respect, focusing solely on project pipeline, bigger issues, and stability while testing before each release may not reach the target - small problems of a small artist. :wink:
I hope you and your team wouldn’t mind paying a bit more attention to the artistic side of things while testing new release candidates.

[blockquote]“Beta-beta” builds often fix issues but may create new ones. They come with new features as well as fixes. Inevitably a build with a download link on the site will be used widely. This is why we don’t have a “nightly build” or “weekly build” made available publicly. [/blockquote]
But on the other hand what’s stopping you from making a public waiver in respect of the beta-beta releases expressly stating that the users will be using such releases at their own risk? Usually this protects software companies from reputational issues such as that you probably are worried about.

[blockquote]So I don’t think we’d be doing too badly if we hit our 8 week cycle target.[/blockquote]
That sounds reassuring. Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Andrei: This issue is fixed in 0.9.18.014 found here: https://www.notch.one/support/forums/topic/maintenance-release-0-9-18-014/

It’s working fine now. Thanks a bunch, Luke! :slight_smile: