Encoding artifacts

ello

We are experiencing artifact on notchLC compressions made on After Effect from a prerendered image sequence. Those artifacts are showing no matter what enconding profile we use (even Best). It seems to happen a lot when there is solid color blocks in the source.

Any idea on what causing this and possible solutions / workaround?

another exemple, source VS compression

Thats super weird - if you could upload the file your working with, either here or to Support, I’d be interested in taking a look.

– Ryan

Hey Ryan,

sure, we can provide several sources. I opened a ticket with a 3sec png seq in attachment. On that source, the artifacts appears in the forehead of the red lady (like the screenshot above) after compression.

Zendesk ticket #17236

Feel free to ask any other files you’d need. Thank you we appreciate your follow up on this.

Did anyone solve this? I’m having the same issue. Making animated pixel grids with pixel perfect PNG’s and the LED screen looks like it has dead pixels in it due to artifacts on the rendered output.

Project settings are 16bit. Using Optimal settings, Trillions of colours etc…

Happens in AE 23 and 24. Studio driver 551.23

Unfortunately banding like this is a limitation of the video codec.

Extreme changes in chroma and luma within small pixel distances will cause this…You shouldn’t judge it by the quality of a still!
I doubt this kind of visual artifacting would be very noticeable in video content.