Spatial Sound / VR

Hi guys!

Thinking about diving into Notch for cinematic VR experiences. Your builder looks like a tool I’ve been waiting for.
Are there any plans to integrate spatial sound features in the near future? So basically being able to position sound sources in 3D space which adapt regarding volume/frequencies/delay/reverb to headset orientation and distance from the source, ideally with an HRTF function to make it sound natural. Didn’t anything related yet.

Thanks,
Marc

Hey Marc,

We don’t have any nodes which do this as of yet, but you can set up proximity modifiers which scale the volume of sounds as you get closer to them. This of course doesn’t cover everything of course, but it might cover the basics of what you want to do.

I can’t comment on specific plans for the future, I’ve added this to our internal feature requests to look into.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

thanks, tried it and it works as you described.
Maybe a simple yet effective addon would be to also pan the sound depending on the headset rotation (which ear is facing the sound)? Otherwise its always mono.

Thanks,
Marc

Hey Marc,

Yeh its going to be mono for now - you could potentially get different varying noise from head rotation by changing the volume based on two nulls offset from the head around the ear, but we don’t have stereo options for sound currently.

Maybe you could make two copies of an audio file, one left ear only one right ear only, and change the volume based on the nulls method above?

I’d love to hear if that worked.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

That kind of works, thanks for your suggestion.
The linear nature of the Proximity Modifier’s falloff is a bit limiting though, causing quite artificial and noticable fade-outs. It would definitely be helpful to have an exponential option and/or a custom curve.

Thanks,
Marc

Hey Marc,

You can actually do a custom curve for values - either with the gradient remap or the “Keyframe Remap” Bin. The bin itself looks a bit complicated, but you just make a keyed value graph in the Null, then the value that comes in will scrub along that graph.

Again, I’m not 100% sure it will work, but would be great if it did.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I see, need to dig deeper into the tool. :wink:
Will try that.

Thanks!
Marc