Orbbec Depth Camera Support

Is there support for the Orbbec depth camera range, such as the Astra?

https://orbbec3d.com/

A client is asking me to do some R+D into some live particle and character animation FX, I understand from the Notch manual that Realsense doesn’t support skeletal data (though they do have a Skeletal SDK on their product page so perhaps this will change in the future?) - and that the Kinect is discontinued. The Skeletal data is secondary to their needs as reactive plasma and particle effects will probably be enough for the project.

Does anyone have experience with the Orbbec range or another depth camera?

Thanks in advance.

In terms of supporting a new depth camera system, we always wait to see how much interest there actually and if this product provides a substantial benefit vs others in the market we already support.

One quick note - Kinect is definitely not discontinued, I’ve been testing with the Kinect Azure recently and things are perfectly fine, depth + skeletal data. if you are looking for a depth camera with skeletal tracking, I’d strongly recommend it.

1 Like

Thank you, my mistake re: the Kinect, I might try and persuade the client to get both anyway :slight_smile:

Hello ryan,
I push this conversation, because I m interested as well… for now the only way to have multiple camera is either the kinect 1 or the realsense… but the realsense have a really bad mesh definition and yes … no skeleton …
I want everything :slight_smile: good mesh, multiple camera, and skeleton !!! all in the same time! I know, crazy guy !! :wink:

Hi, multiple Kinect azures work perfectly fine in Notch, which offers the best depth definition options (configurable) and has tracking for multiple bodies per camera.

1 Like

Hi dvs…
Multiple kinect azure yes … but multiple skeletons its seem… ( for all of them by the way…)

Skeletal data #

Notch supports the Microsoft Skeletal data from Kinect 1, 2 and 4 (Azure). However, we have not found it to be suitable in production environments. The conditions required for Microsoft’s skeletal data don’t lend themselves to the stage or public spaces. Specifically, it requires a control pose at the beginning and the user to stay in a control space in view. Notch does not also support more than one Skeletal data at a time.