Can I import a live stream from Twitch or external source?

I want to be able to import a live stream from a remote location, like a band streaming from their studio while I’m on-site somewhere, manipulating and projecting their content. I need this to be live, and want to project the output onto a building, but we need to be able to do this in separate places so that they don’t have to come to where I am. Does this make sense? Is there a way to import a remote video stream into Notch–whether by Twitch or other streaming source?

I used a workaround since I don’t think there’s an easy node you can drop that picks up a live video. I play back the video on a second screen, while running a software that captures (parts of) your screen and manifests this as a video source. then you can select that video source in Notch. Forgot what the software was, but should be good to google. Hope this helps!

1 Like

OBS does the trick, just checked =D

1 Like

Actually, it gives me a black screen in Notch, while in for instance Google Meet it’s fine.

Using GitHub - rdp/screen-capture-recorder-to-video-windows-free: a free open source windows "screen capture" device and recorder (also allows VLC/ffmpeg and others to capture/stream desktop/audio) does work

1 Like

NDI Scan Converter is probably the most solid and dependable choice. Used in the live industry all the time: NDI Tools | NDI.tv

Please note that your plan with a band in a different location, streaming to you, you adding FX, projecting it somewhere… there are a lot of X factors in this setup, and all of them add complexity and latency. A lot of solid testing, tweaking and rehearsals are required. For one, I would not rely on a Twitch stream as my source: I’d definitely prefer something more solid and predictable in terms of latency and signal quality.

1 Like